Tuesday, April 5

4 Kinds of Mushrooms, 1 Fabulous Soup

Mushrooms, of all kinds, are the best.  I like them grilled, sauteed, baked, raw, and especially soup-ified!  For most soups, I look at a few different recipes, copy down the list of ingredients, and then proceed to not follow it at all.  That is precisely what took place while making my most recent batch of cream of mushroom soup.

To start, I raided the mushroom selection at my local Wegman's:
I can't possibly give you an accurate measurement of anything involved in the making of this soup, so I'm simply providing photography that should help.  I started with a package of white mushrooms, baby portabella, shitake, and oyster mushrooms.

In my pot, I sauteed onion, garlic and parsley in olive oil, then coarsely chopped some of the oysters, shitakes and baby bellas, because I love big pieces of mushrooms in this soup.  I accidentally overcooked  the mushrooms, and they started to stick to the pot, so I quickly added some port, which not only pulled everything off of the bottom of the pot, but also ended up being the perfect addition of flavor to this soup!


All of the remaining mushrooms went into my food processor with a few spoonfuls of vegetable broth, just to make it easy to mix.


I added several cups of the vegetable broth to the sauteed goodies, then added the mushroom paste.



After bringing the brothy soup to a boil, I added 2 small containers of heavy cream.  I love the creaminess of the soup, but it isn't thick enough on its own... so in goes a few tablespoons of corn starch.  The corn starch thickens soup much easier than flour, just remember to mix it with some water before putting it directly into the soup.


I let the soup simmer for about a half an hour, and that was it!


This was one of the most robust soups I've ever had.  Some might say I went a little overboard on the amount of mushrooms...but it was realllllly amazing!  



No comments:

Post a Comment