Thursday, May 26

The "World's Best" Lasagna

E and I love to cook.  In fact, our first date was spent cooking sauce together!  So, when I found this "World's Best Lasagna" recipe on AllRecipes.com, I knew we had to give it a try.

Typically we make various veggie-filled lasagnas, sometimes even mixing a little tofu with the ricotta cheese to make it healthier.  We love adding spinach, mushrooms, even carrots to our recipe...but this one... this "World's Best" was not about being healthy.  This was about my favorite 6 letter word: C.H.E.E.S.E.


We started with some homemade "meat sauce," and substituted Morning Star Italian Sausage and Quorn Beef-Style Grounds for real meat.  (To all of you meat-eaters out there, this means all of the flavor without any of the grease!)  We added crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, onions, sugar, fresh basil and parsley, and let this simmer for almost an hour.

Afterwards, we made the ricotta cheese, egg and parsley mixture, and began the fun part of lasagna-construction!  I also did not buy the packaged, shredded mozzarella cheese... I went for the fresh stuff.


As I was about to cover the lasagna for the oven, I noticed that we had accidentally opened a very precious package of Reynolds Wrap that I had kept hidden in the back of the pantry.  My sweet grandmother was a bit of a pack-rat, and my family loves to laugh about all of the old, outdated items she kept around her house.  This Reynolds Wrap managed to stay in her house until the 21st Century...even though it's older than I am!!


Maybe I'm also being a pack-rat by insisting on keeping this Reynolds Wrap, but it's such a strange and special little keepsake.


After almost an hour in the oven (covered for 25, uncovered for 25), the lasagna was amazing!  The hardest part about this recipe is waiting for it to cool before eating!


 Give it a try, and let me know what you think!

(Pssst! Don't forget to click here for the recipe.)






No comments:

Post a Comment