Friday, January 13

Guest Post: Meet Ashley from Flats to Flip Flops

Ashley from Flats to Flip Flops is a talented new blogger, and I'm proud to say that she is my very first guest blogger!  Ashley's here to share a few tips on how manage a new blog with a busy family life, and I'm guest-posting on her blog to reflect on my (almost) one year anniversary of Rock'n'Roll Betty.  Enjoy!


Hi Everyone! This is Ashley from over at flats to flip flops! I am “momma” to two sweet kiddos, a mischievous boy age 4, and a sassy gal age 18 months. Over at flats to flip flops I share thoughts on fashion and life as a  mom to two young kiddos! So stop by and check it out!

A big THANK YOU to Renee for letting me guest post on her amazing blog!  I love seeing ( and trying to copy:) her style!

I am relatively new to the blogging world, but if any of you have ventured over this way, you know how fast you have to learn to stay afloat!  And man, how I wished there were more posts with tips for new bloggers out there.  So today that is exactly what I am going to do.  Share a few of the little things I have learned along the way.  Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert!

1.  Have a reserve of posts.  I am always about a week ahead in posts.  And for my type A personality this helps me to not get super stressed out!  Some days I have time in the day to write a few posts and some days I have NO time, but I never have to scramble to get a post done for the next day.  And if my blogging mojo is just not a flowin, I can set the computer down and try again tomorrow!

2.   Make some new friends.  I often refer to my blogging life as "my second social sphere".  I have gotten the chance to read, connect with, and get to know some amazing people from all over the world by blogging.  And you know what, a lot of times I have to be the first to reach out.  So don't be afraid to comment, email, help, and share with other bloggers!  You will be seriously missing out on some amazing people and probably some amazing opportunities if you don't!

3.  Get your family involved!  One amazing blessing from blogging and from taking pictures daily, is that after mommy takes pictures then it's the kiddos turn.  And really, check out their posing skills!  The great thing is that I have an almost daily log of my kids growing up...and I know that will be something I will cherish always.
4.  Take time to take a break.  If you need to take a day off from the blog world, do it.  If you need to take a month off, do it.  If you need to set limits on when, how and where you blog, then do it.  Like for me, I blog at naptime and sometimes after the kiddos are in bed.  But don't neglect the things and especially the people that are the most important!  Sometimes the best creative juices come after you take time to breathe.  Remember the tortoise and the hare?  Who won that race?
 
5.   Do you!  This is my biggest piece of advice.  Regardless of the numbers, regardless of the pageviews.  Do you! Do material that feels right in your heart.  Do things with your blog that ring true to you.  You don't need to be like any other blogger out there.  Sometimes my least read posts are the ones I am most proud of.  And you know what, even if I am the only one that reads those posts, it won't stop me from writing them.  A true, authentic you will gain readers.  A true, authentic you will gain more than just readers, it will gain you friends!

Happy Blogging!

1 comment: