Monday, July 25

Mom's Zucchini Bread


Some of my favorite summer memories include daily visits to my grandfather's garden.  My parents shared a yard with them, so my grandparents were my next-door neighbors for my first 18 years. 

Some of my favorite memories include sitting with my sister in the garden and eating cherry tomatoes straight from the vine, running to the bottom of the yard to pick up some veggies for my mom while she made a dinner salad, and helping my grandfather install iron stakes that he had taken from the coal mine (so the tomatoes could grow nice and high).  I also remember our over-abundance of vegetables.  We gave a lot of food away to family and friends, but always had buckets upon buckets of extra tomatoes, green beans, and zucchini.  

My mom tells me that zucchini bread is specifically intended for zucchini-overload from your garden.  Well, I have 1 measly zucchini plant in my current back yard, and it's certainly not supplying enough to make this bread.  So, I cheated, and took a trip to our local farmer's market to round out my stash of squash.

Here are some of the other ingredients that I use for this very easy recipe (minus the watermelon in the background):


The zucchini gets shredded into a bowl, then mixed with the other wet ingredients, such as sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.  Separately, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and walnuts.  You simply blend these two mixtures together, pour them into well-greased/floured pans, and enjoy a very delicious breakfast bread in an hour!

Turned off at the idea of putting squash into your bread?  Don't be!  You really don't taste it, but it's an easy and healthy ingredient!


Here is the complete recipe that I took straight from Momma:


* Note: To add a nice touch to the top of the bread, sprinkle some brown sugar and smashed walnuts to the top of the loaves before you bake them.

No comments:

Post a Comment