Saturday, July 16

We are the True Believers

I came to New Jersey to study classical music when I was 18, but I found myself also studying a lot of underground music during my spare time.  I was fortunate enough to play at Carnegie Hall in college, but I was also spending so much of my time visiting dozens of other types of venues, from NYC to Philly.  As much as I love Mahler (and believe that his music is rock'n'roll in its own right), sometimes a punk band playing in the basement of a church has its own special appeal.

This week, I randomly noticed that an old (old old) band, The Bouncing Souls, was playing in Philly, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see this band again.  Erik agreed to come with me, and asked me to meet him after work in the city.  

Then BOOM.  It hit me.  We're old

... not that we were too old to attend this show.  (Trust me, there were plenty of 40-somethings still enjoying themselves.)  However, I just realized at that very moment how much my life had changed since college.  Erik wanted to get dinner before the show, but he had already made reservations for a nice Italian restaurant.  So there I was.. plans for a nice dinner with a guy in a suit.... and tickets to a punk show.  I guess this is the story of many late 20-somethings?

Needless to say, it took me a while to figure out what to wear to a nice dinner and drinks with E's coworkers, yet still somehow make it work for a show venue where studs and mohawks are prevalent. 

I spent the night laughing constantly at how out of place we looked, but it didn't matter, because I felt like I was 18 again (hot pink hair included).

 Dress: Target
Sweater: J.Crew
Belt & Sandals: Gap

Any Bouncing Souls fans out there?  If you're curious, here's a link to one of my favorite songs, True Believers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment